Measuring your kitchen for new cabinets is easy ...
Measuring is the single most important step of the project so take your time and check your
measurements not once but twice. If you plan to use a designer or installer he or she will confirm
all measurements prior to ordering your cabinets. Once you have your sketch, the fun begins.
Place the cabinets where you want in the grid.
- Begin in one corner, select a wall and measure its length from corner to corner.
2. Write the measurement on the corresponding wall on your sketch.
3. Go to the next corner and measure the length of the next wall.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all wall measurements are complete.
5. Measure the height of the room. Write this dimension in the space provided.
Windows and Doors
1. Begin in the upper left corner of your drawing.
2. Moving clockwise, number the windows until you reach the starting point.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the doorways.
4. Measure the width of the window. Trim is considered part of the window or door.
Measure from the outside of the trim on one side to the outside of the trim on the other side.
Write the dimension in the table on the drawing corresponding to the window number.
5. Move clockwise around the room measuring each window until you reach the starting point.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the doorways.
- Measure your appliances, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc...
- If they are in a fixed location, measure up to the appliance location.
- Measure from the wall to the center of your sink (plumbing)
- Transfer these measurements to your layout
- Dimension Totals:
- Wall 1:_________must total same as Wall 3:_________
Wall 2:_________must total same as Wall 4:_________
- 1. Show all dimensions in inches.
- 2. Mark all breaks in walls (windows, doors, cold air returns, radiators, closets, offsets, etc.).
- 3. Mark location of existing plumbing centerlines, electrical outlets, existing ducts to outside.
- 4. Indicate which are exterior walls.
5.Draw your room according to your measurements on the layout grid
Here is a helpful video on How to measure your kitchen.....